My mom loves, loves, then add a little bit more love on top of those loves… key lime pie. Every summer, I make it as my go to party dish for her house. Here’s the thing, at our parties we eat big! So here’s what happens, it’s after dinner, I pull out the pie and you hear the groans. “I’m too full. I’ll take a piece home.” It makes me wonder if we should start off with dessert some days. Well, key lime doesn’t travel well in a wedge shape. Once it is cut it demands to be eaten quickly or it loses all its pizzaz. They do travel well in a bar form though. SOOOO I give you the key lime bar. Tasted and approved by my family with a 12 stars out of 5 from Bruce. See above he’s not shy. The other good thing is if you want to snack on them throughout the day you don’t feel as bad. You didn’t have a piece of pie. Nope you just had a little-itty bitty bar. No biggy right? And you’re getting your vitamin C because it’s lime (which is a fruit you know). See how I’ve talked you into another piece.
How I wish that my key lime plant was still growing. Unfortunately, he met an early demise. Anyone who feels the need to get me a new one, my greenhouse sure would appreciate it. Hint Hint…. family members.
Key Lime Bars
- 24 Graham Crackers
- 4 tbsp Pecans Ground
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 2 Sticks Butter Melted
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 2 cans Sweetened Condensed Milk 14 oz cans
- 1 Lime Zest
- 1 cup Key Lime Juice
- 13 x 9 SprayedPreheat oven to 350Crush your graham crackers. I like to leave them in their wrapper and squish them with my fingers. I’m not sure why. Takes out my aggression.In a bowl, combine your crushed Graham Crackers, Sugar and Cinnamon. Drizzle that melted butter into the bowl and stir it together. Press the crumbs into the bottom of the pan. Then sprinkle your pecans on top of the crust. I like the layer of nuts makes me happy. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Time to pull out the mixer. Throw in the Egg Yolks and let them whip about for a couple of minutes. Then add your condensed milk until combined. Next throw in your lime juice and zest.
- About time to take that crust out and drizzle your sour concoction onto that sweet crust. Smooth it over and sing put a lime in the coconut and do a spin. You’ll feel better if you do it. No one’s watching do it!
- Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on the counter and then stick it in the fridge for two hours. NO PEEKING! Two hours! Who wants warm key lime pie bars. Blech! They need to be chilled to get that puckered refreshed feeling!