Lighting a candle when you chop onions does NOT stop you from crying profusely. LIES LIES LIES. Just suck it up buttercup your eyes are going to water. Feel free to grab goggles if you must.
Around this time I add the butter and flour.
Place soup in oven safe crocks. These white bowls are one of our favorite gifts we got from our wedding. We use them all the time.
May I suggest a cheese and ham panini to go with this warm soup. . . or just a bottle of wine and a baguette. You should have a half a bottle left, or you may have finished it while making the soup. We don’t judge! Feel free to open another bottle!
French Onion Soup
- 8 small/medium Onions Sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic Crushed
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 8 Cups beef broth
- 2 Thyme Sprigs
- 1/2 Bottle Dry Vermouth PLEASE NOT SWEET (BLECH)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 French Baguette Sliced
- 1/2 Pound Gruyere Cheese Grated
- Slice Onions in Half and slice into pieces.
- Place in stock pot with Garlic and Olive Oil. Stir intermittently until onions start to soften.
- Combine Flour and Butter together and place into the pot. Combining the flour and butter with a fork helps flour from clumping. Stir the combination for the onions to caramelize and thicken.
- Once caramelized you can add the beef broth, thyme and vermouth. Let simmer on oven for 20 minutes. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Right before serving, place soup in oven proof crocks. Place a slice bread in each crock then top off with a handful of Gruyere Swiss Cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is melted.