I have a bread machine. I haven’t used it since this crusty bread came into my life.
A bread machine bread is all fine and dandy. This recipe is so easy and creates Artisan bread. The crunch of the crust will make the wait worth it.
Just dump all the ingredients in the bowl. Now these pictures show a quadrupled recipe. I like to make more to share with friends and family.
I don’t even get out the mixer. Just me and a big wooden spoon.
Then overnight… It comes ALIVEEEEE!
I quadrupled the dough so I would get four loafs. If you just follow the recipe you will have only one round mound.
This is what it looks like after 45 minutes in the oven when you take the lid off.Think I’m making Beef Stew or French Onion Soup with our loafs today!
Crusty Homemade Bread
- 3 cups Bread Flour
- 1 ¾ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Yeast
- 1 ½ cups water
- This recipe can be double, tripled or quadrupled. In the pictures I quadrupled the recipe. So you will see a LARGE Mixing Bowl.
- In a large bowl add flour, salt, yeast and water. I use a big wooden spoon and combine all the ingredients. It's not going to be a smooth mixture just make sure it's all combined. Cover the bowl and let sit overnight. I've tried as little as six hours and it works.
- Preheat your oven to 450. Once preheated, place a cast iron pot with a lid or any pot that can be placed in the oven into the stove to heat for 30 minutes. The pot must be hot when you place the bread into the pot. I've used my le creuset pan and a vintage 1950s metal pot and both worked.
- While your pans are heating. Shape the dough into a round ball. You will need extra flour as you knead the dough out.
- Pop the round dough ball into your pot after it’s heated and place the lid back on the pot. Back in the oven at 450 for 30 minutes. Next take the lid off your pots and cook for another 15 minutes. Let cool but feel free to steal a piece and watch the butter melt